Lease land cottages
Lease land cottages are a great alternative to purchasing freehold land, especially if you’re looking for waterfront! When you purchase a lease land cottage, you are doing exactly that, purchasing the cottage. You then pay a set amount to lease the land that the cottage is sitting on. The benefits of this type of ownership are as follows; very low initial price to purchase a cottage on the water, sometimes as low as $60-$70,000 and as high as $275,000. There are NO taxes, you only pay an annual lease fee which is based on the location of your cottage, current rates fronting on Lake Huron run from about $6,041.00 plus an annual service fee of $850.00. When compared to waterfront cottages in Town on freehold land, it’s very affordable. There are certain stipulations on lease land that limit the amount of time you may spend at the cottage, you cannot live here year round. Currently the occupancy is as follows: From the 1st of May to the 30th of October each year and 10 days in each of the months of November, December, January, February, March, and April in any year of the term. This is generally not an issue for most people as most of the cottages are three season and many draw their water from the lake which is not possible in the winter months anyway.
SERVICE FEES ARE DUE APRIL 1st, 2013
- Please make Cheque or Money Order payable to “Saugeen First Nation #29”.
- “Important Notice” Payments received after the 30th of April of any given year will result in a LATE FEE of $100.00 set by the Saugeen Band Council, effective the next business day.
PLEASE DO NOT combine your Service Fee and Leasing Rental Payment.
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Phone 519-797-3039 • Fax 519-797-3452
For convenience, a mail slot is available at our office door.
Land Management Staff
- Herman Roote Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pat Roote Finance – email@example.com
- Kirk Roote Lands Officer – firstname.lastname@example.org
Service Fees pay for
- Fire Protection
- Police Protection
- Road Maintenance
- Landfill Site
- Works Department
- Landfill Maintenance
- Landfill Monitor
- Garbage Collection
911 Emergency Service
- Identify your community at Saugeen First Nation and give your street name and house number
Police – 24 Hours 1-888-310-1122
- OPP – Sauble Beach (519) 422-1670
- OPP – Wiarton (519) 534-1323
- Saugeen First Nation Fire Chief, Steve Roote can be reached @ 519-797-5991 or 519-797-3366.
Recycling Pickup Schedule
- The pickup will run every Monday commencing May 1st through till October 31st 2008.
- There are also recycling bins at the Landfill Site.
- May 1st – October 31st
- Residential pick-up is on Mondays. Commercial pick-up is on Tuesday and Thursday.
- Please make sure garbage is at the road/curb/bin by 8:00 a.m. on your pick up day.
- Only household garbage in standard size garbage bags (24” x 36”) will be picked up.
- A Bag Tag By-law has been established by the Saugeen Band Council to monitor the disposal of waste in our landfill.
- Each leased property is allowed for pick up, 2 bags of garbage without bag tag stickers.
- All extra bags must have Saugeen First Nation Tags. Extra bags without a bag tag sticker will not be picked up.
- If sharing garbage bins, make sure property numbers are displayed on the bin so the contractor knows how many are using the bin.
- Do not put out untagged garbage for regular pick up, such as, boxes, brush, furniture, appliances etc.
- At the landfill site, you will be required to pay the same price per bag as you would a bag tag.
Landfill Site Passes
- Passes will be issued upon payment of Service Fees at the Lands Management Office or mailed out along with your reciept.
Contractors Landfill Site Access
- Contractors hired by lesses must produce an “Identification Card” or “Letter of Approval” for construction issued by the Lands Office to enter the Landfill Site, call for further details. This pass does not permit any free disposal.
Landfill Site Hours
MONDAY-FRIDAY 9:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
SATURDAY 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Summer
MONDAY-FRIDAY 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
SATURDAY 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Winter
- Cartons/Boxes of garbage – $4.00 each
- Trailer of garbage – $20.00
- Pick up truck of garbage – $20.00
- Bagged garbage – $1.00 each
- Shingles – $50.00
- Furniture – $20.00 (at discretion of monitor)
- Appliances – $10.00 (at discretion of monitor)
- Dates will be posted after confirmation from Works Dept.
- Information is subject to change.
- Tires will not be collected because of disposal costs per tire but will be accepted at the landfill site for a small fee. If you have large appliances, please call the Works Department at 519-797-3934.
- Our Works Department are the Garbage Contractors, therefore if you have any questions or concerns regarding garbage collection, recycling etc., please contact, Wanda Johnson at the Works Department @ 519-797-3934. Hours of operation Monday to Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Fridays 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. May be tendered***
- During the term of a lease the Lessee will maintain at the Lessee’s own cost with one or more companies satisfactory to the Minister of Indian and Northern Affairs and the Saugeen Band, comprehensive general liability insurance in the joint names of the lessee and Her Majesty in a form satisfactory to the Minister and the Saugeen Band against claims for personal injury, death or property damage occurring on or about the Lands and Improvements, arising out of or resulting from the Lessee’s possession, occupation, use and control of the Lands and Improvements, such insurance to afford protection to the minimum limit of ONE MILLION ($1,000.000.00) DOLLARS for Recreational Lease and THREE MILLION for Commercial Leases or such limits as may be set from time to time by the Minister in writing.
- The Lessee will furnish the Minister (Saugeen Lands Office) with certificates evidencing such policies within 30 days of the commencement of the Term of his or her lease and a certificate of renewal at least 5 days prior to the date of the expiration of any policy in force.
- In the event that the Lessee fails to effect such insurance or renewal thereof or to furnish a certificate, the Minister may procure such insurance and the premium paid by the Minister will be deemed to be additional rent due and payable by the Lessee to Her Majesty forthwith.